Windows XP vs. X11 GUIs [was: Re: [plug] [OT] Looking for cheap P4]

Luke Dudney ldlist at westnet.com.au
Fri Aug 27 15:26:43 WST 2004

Luke Dudney wrote:

> James Devenish wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> (Yes, I'm a Windows "n00b", as some people say.)
>> I know this sounds like a silly little rant, but my honest impression
>> from using Windows XP is that CDE* doesn't seem so bad after all (does
>> that make me mentally ill?).
>>

> I'd say yes, absolutely. My honest impression is that XP is so
> overwhelmingly more usable than CDE that claiming otherwise seems
> almost asinine.

I suppose I better qualify that... I tried to use CDE on a solaris
workstation for a while (read: on and off for a few days), but became
infuriated with trying to do even simple tasks. I'm just glad my
experience was purely for interest's sake and I was not in a situation
of trying to get anything productive achieved.