[plug] Word97 vs Openoffice

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sat Aug 28 15:12:07 WST 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 14:41, Brad Campbell wrote:
> Just a mild point of observation/frustration.
>
> Word97 under WINE vs Openoffice.org 1.1.1.
>
> I have a 179 Page word document with lots of formatting / indexing.
>
> Word97 loads from scratch (clean boot) and loads the document in about 5 seconds. Ooo takes about 30.

I haven't seen OO take this long since the days of running a Athlon 800
with 128mb RAM on Debian Woody/KDE3.1 with OO.o 1.0.1 or something
similar.

On my current setup (celery 1.7 with 256mb DDR 845oe Max2 mobo with
~7krpm Seagates, Triplex Radeon 9200 agp card) running Debian sid with
OO.o 1.1.2 most documents load instantly but anything greater than 60
pages with inserted images takes about 3-4 seconds.

I'm not using the oo.o quick start or anything like that and it doesn't
seem particularly taxing on my RAM.

> Word97 is using 24 Meg of ram total, Ooo is using 57.
>
> Word97 crashes occasionally (but avoidably when you figure out what makes it crash). Ooo buggers up
> the index beyond repair.

???

I never have any problems with the documents I send to people. Once many
years ago a OO.o created a document that was purple in word but I've
never seen anything like that since.

> Unfortunately for these documents I *have* to use Word as I need to be able to save the document in
> a format the guys in the office in Perth can use (Word 2000) and Ooo munges the Indexing to a point
> Word just chokes.

Get them to install OO.o