[plug] raid 0 and bad blocks

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 29 09:13:00 WST 2004

Hi need some idea as to what options I have.

I have two IBM 60g (deathstars?) harddrives set as raid 0, with
reiserfs  Other than some odd things (one ide cable falling out etc)
they have been fine - over 3 years and still on the original install.

However, one drive has developed a bad block area in a critical spot,
and because of the raid 0, I have no idea how to map it out of the
raid.  My options as I see it are to make space on another machine and
dd the data off (/usr = ~45G) and somehow reconstitute that raid
partition around the bad block list - but how?  Can it be done without
taking the data off (finding room for 45G  of data is possible, but its
a pain)

I will be getting some new disks I think, but need to limp along for
now.

BillK