[plug] Suggestion for web site

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 31 10:37:16 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 10:04, Margo Adams wrote:

> uh, mess? I was more thinking that an online management area for adding
> things is so much easier that manually changing the page all the time.
> However, if it's not set up properly it can be a mess lol.

Even if it is set up "properly", using a database-backed site where a
database is not really can add complexity and create rather than
eliminate work.

On the other hand, specifically for the sort of thing you're describing
I think a database would be ideal.

My personal opinion on the matter is (a) why not just subscribe, and (b)
such a page is fine by me but should prominently display record age and
have a way of "confirming" records to update the timestamp. In other
words, it should be possible to look at the page and say "Hmm, these
folks carried <blah> 9 months ago but no news since."

If you're looking for specific places, the newsagent beside Central Park
on St Georges Tce carries Linux Journal and a bunch of others. There's
another newsagent that carries LJ on Rokeby Road in Subiaco near the
Sans & McDougall, a chemist, and across the road from the "Brew Ha"
cafe. What else they have? NFI. I haven't gotten around to subscribing
to LJ yet and I've found I generally feel ripped off by the others. It
annoys me to read a magazine and find that a large proportion of their
content is factually incorrect in important ways, especially when the
incorrect information is trivially checked. LJ is one of the few that
seems to get it right most of the time (when I know enough to check -
the other thing about LJ is it's not just rehashing the same old stuff
or the basics over and over).

--
Craig Ringer