[plug] Program modularity/(Server Client?) - IHCC

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 31 10:44:03 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 06:08, hooker at iinet.net.au wrote:

> A proper design would have been a feature-rich backend used by the GUI, the
> CORBA front-end (for those who have a fixation with CORBA) and also more
> flexible methods such as SOAP/WSDL, XML, http(s) etc.

That's a lot of work on the backend just writing interfaces. Especially
if have to update the interface code every time the core adds new
functionality or changes an API function. *uggh*.

> It sounds to me as though the direction that you're moving is a good one. If
> you want cross-platform availability, then PHP/Perl will do it (have you looked
> into Mono?).

*cough*Python*cough*

Not because I feel the need to rant about it, but because it's
conspicuously absent from your list.

I'm also tempted to add Eiffel to the list (esp for backend code) but
lack the experience with it to know if it's actually a screaming
nightmare rather than helpful.

--
Craig Ringer