[plug] Suggestion for web site

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Aug 31 14:49:33 WST 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Craig Ringer wrote:

> >>In other words, it should be possible to look at the page and say
> >>"Hmm, these folks carried <blah> 9 months ago but no news since."
> >
> > I have a nasty suspicion it would end up like the old PLUG site,
> > i.e. a few entries put in to start with, then no updates for ages.
>
> As do I.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

Surely, it would not be so difficult, if my suggestion is implemented,
to do it with the requirement/request, that people check their local
newsagents, every <3|6|9|12> months, to try to keep the information as
up to date as reasionably possible?

Similarly, it could also be useful, depending on the individual
newsagents, to ask the individual newsagents to advise by email (to some
preset email address, eg webmaster at plug.org.au), any changes to the
stocking of Linux (and Linux-related, so as to include Australian
Developer) magazines.

Perhaps, it could also be possible, if the newsagents are agreeable, to
get email addresses from newsagents (who have them and use them), so as
to periodically send an email to the individual newsagents who are
included in the proposed listing, an email such as "Our records and our
web page, currently show you as stocking the following Linux and Linux
related publications. Please confirm that the deatils are still correct,
and please advise of any further Linux and Linux-related publications,
that you stock, or, of any that you no longer stock."

There is a proverb that goes something like "It can be easy to find many
reasons to not do something".

If you consider how many subscribers to this list, live in Perth (I do
not know how many list subscribers exist - perhaps, someone could tell
us that?), and how many newsagents they could cover, in their immediate
localities, in total for Perth, it could be quite a useful resource, the
web page that I have suggested, and could be quite beneficial to the
Linux community in Perth, and to publishers of Linux and Linux-related
publications, and to the newsagents who stock Linux and Linux-related
publications.

It just takes enough people to want it to happen, and, who are prepared
to do the work required to make it happen.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."