[plug] Suggestion for web site

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Aug 31 19:08:15 WST 2004

Margo Adams wrote:

> Just to c;arify, adding a db to a site certainly doesn't mean every
> single page is drawn from it or generated.

Sure, no worries :-)  I just get nervous though when people think that
a web site with a database will solve all of the world's problems
without thinking through how exactly the database should be used or
what the alternatives are.

For example, the PLUG Installfest rego page put everyone's details
into a database -- but we never wrote anything to get the data back
out again afterwards ;-) and the reminder e-mails ended up being
filled out by hand by Bernard.

There are a couple of areas where the PLUG site could do with a
database -- our membership list is currently kept as a text file on
the PLUG server and edited by hand when people join up, which is a
lousy way to do thigns; and our library catalogue (when we get it
catalogued!) also cries out for being database-driven.

If anyone thinks that these sound like fun projects to fill in an
otherwise dull weekend :-) then let me know...

Cameron.