[plug] [OT] Local-user IMAP

Michael Hunt michael at aussie.oddsocks.net
Tue Aug 31 21:01:37 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 20:33, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> Do you /really/ have to use Cyrus IMAP?  Using e.g. dovecot or
> courier, I believe that you could achieve what you want trivially,
> because they don't care if a local process starts screwing about with
> the Maildirs directly.  I'm pretty sure that courier also supports
> "shared" mailboxes which may be useful for what you want.

One of the advantages of using Cyrus over another IMAP server is that
you do not have to create a local user account in order for people to
have email via IMAP. It also allows you to store all your mail in one
place rather than all over the file system as can happen with other IMAP
servers.

Sure Cyrus can be a pig to setup but once it is going it just keeps on
working. I have been running my current home network on cyrus for over
two years and before I went overseas I ran a Cyrus IMAP box for probably
the same period again.

Michael

Can't praise Cyrus enough for reliability.