[plug] [OT - sorta]Why I dont trust windows.

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Dec 1 04:49:43 WST 2004

http://isc.sans.org/survivalhistory.php

(from slashdot)
The Internet Storm Center published a graph showing historic trends for
the "Survival Time" of unpatched, unprotected (windows) computers
connected to the internet. Turns out, this number dropped from about 40
minutes last year, to 20 minutes this year. The survival time is
calculated as the average time between reports for an average target IP
address. If you are assuming that most of these reports are generated by
worms that attempt to propagate, an unpatched system would be infected by
such a probe. The data is collected from a large number of networks with
different types of upstream protection. So if you are on an unprotected
cable/DSL line, you may see probes much more frequently. Either way, 20
minutes is not long enough to download patches. The Honeynet Project did
publish a paper with some stats back in 2001."

.

The fear!

--
"Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do
it, that's trustworthiness."