[plug] Prefered Music Format

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Dec 3 20:35:20 WST 2004

In message <1102076569.443.2.camel at natalie>
on Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 08:22:49PM +0800, Michael Collard wrote:
> While on the topic, OGGs do sound much better than most MP3s, however
> every now and then I come across an MP3 that actually does sound pretty
> good, even at 128K. I know its not LAME doing the encoding, I cant tell
> that encoder's marks anywhere. Anyone know of other MP3 encoders that
> are bit better?

I would have assumed that professional MPEG-1 encoding would not be
perceptibly worse than OGG in general. However, from the discussions
on this list (I have no OGG experience), it sounds like OGG is better as
an unsupervised algorithm. (That is, by comparison, MPEG-1 would require
manual configuration of the algorithm to achieve the best perceptual
results. Most amateur MPEG encoding would not employ this and, by
comparison, it sounds like is not generally necessary with OGG.)