[plug] ssh, su, screen. Conflict?

Lyndon Maydwell maydwell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 22:55:52 WST 2004

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but it sure is inconvenient...

Steps to reproduce:

        start screen as user1 // (not root)
        detach
        ssh in to user2's account
        su to user1
        try to reatach screen // [screen -x | screen -r]

This results in a message saying:

        Cannot open your terminal "/dev/pts/4" - please check.

This is a pain, because I have a user set up purely to ssh in as,
(just so that if anyone were to gain access to my machine via
ssh, they would have to su to get any real privelages), so I have
no way to resume screen sessions as my regular user.

I've googled around for a solution, but everything eems to
advocate changing the ownership of the terminal to the user that
I'm su'ing to, or setting the suid bit on ssh, or su, which is clearly
defeating the purpose of providing another user to add security.

Maybe I'll just set up my regular user account to accept ssh
connections and not worry about it, it's not like there are any holes
in ssh I've heard of, but it sure is a pain not being able to resume
screen sessions after changing user.

Has anyone encounterd this before?
Does anyone have a workable solution?