[plug] trying to read 128mb usb memory stick in Mandrake 9.2

David Buddrige dbuddrige at wasp.net.au
Mon Dec 6 18:56:22 WST 2004

Hi all,

I have a 128mb usb memory stick, that I have copied some files onto, from my
father's computer - since he doesn't have a floppy drive at all on his new
laptop.  I am wanting to put these files onto my own computer.  The problem
is, that when I plug the usb memory stick into the usb ports on my laptop
running mandrake 9.2, it does not seem to auto-detect it or anything.

I tried to mount it manually, by using the command:

mount -t vfat /dev/usb /mnt/memory-stick/

but it turns out that /dev/usb is a directory - not a device, and it does
not have anything in the directory.

I've been searching through google, but so far to no avail.  Anyone got some
suggestions on how to mount a usb memory stick?

thanks heaps guys

David Buddrige. 8-)