[plug] RE: Alsa problems

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue Dec 7 14:00:52 WST 2004

Haste wrote:
> Ive got a ens1371 also, its a cheap, nasty little card that doesnt
> support duplexing, meaning you cant have the hardware mix sounds
> together, which is what the default Alsa driver for it does. You can
> however, use 'dmix' to get it all making sweet harmonious sounds
> together.
> http://opensrc.org/alsa/index.php?page=DmixPlugin
> But if you want an easy, better long term solution, get a decent card
> like an SB Live or something that does duplex.

Hate to tell you, but 99% of cards that support what you call "duplexing" do it in the driver. Alsa
will allow multiple opens of an ens1371 and will mix them in software for you. (I have 6 of them
here. Great little card).

Duplexing is commonly referred to as the ability to record and playback at the same time, and those
cards can do that also.

--
Brad
                    /"\