[plug] RE: Alsa problems

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue Dec 7 15:41:11 WST 2004

Michael Collard wrote:

> You will probably find that you're using dmix (software mixing) and that
> its nothing to do with the driver. For example, rename the ~/.asoundrc
> and /etc/asound.conf then try and make 3 alsa apps play at same time
> without specifying the dmix mixer, I doubt it will work.

I don't use the alsa interface for my apps. They all use the oss compat interface.
I installed all my alsa drivers by hand and I wrote the playback apps myself using the oss interface.
I don't have an /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc

It is most likely being done in the oss compat driver. I'll have a look at the code when I get the
chance.

> Anyway, the es1371 card supports 2 input streams actually, which is an
> added bonus. All my ALSA apps use one channel with 'dmix', OSS apps use
> the other channel! :)

It actually has a pair of codecs. The 2nd codec is only capable of 48khz output while the first does
resampling in hardware.

The 2nd codec is there specifically to handle the software wavetable synth in the windows driver.
Linux can use it for whatever you like.

--
Brad
                    /"\