[plug] dcop & kde

Sol sol at terminus.net.au
Tue Dec 7 21:58:46 WST 2004

But life is no bowl of cherries, and I got the network blues too.

Since I upgraded my network, some user accounts on some machines just
won't log on to KDE on the workstations. (So according to the (l)users they
are "broken" - which isn't a very nice way of describing the other WM's
available.) Logging on to kde in the said user accounts yields errors
like this:
-----
There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE. The
message returned by the system was:
Could not read network connection list.
//.DCOPserver_ws7__0
Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running.
-----
I don't really know what DCOP is, but I know that it's working on the
other user accounts. I've worked out that the accounts that don't work
lack a /home/*/.DCOPserver_ws*__* file. I believe this occurred when one
of the clients was upgraded from Suse 9.0 (kde3.1) to Suse 9.1 (kde3.2)
a couple of weeks before the others, thereby creating concurrency
problems, because /home on the clients is an NFS mount of /srv/home from
the server. Hence all the clients are writing local config files to the
same directory. This caused some other weirdness also, like disappearing
wallpaper amongst other things - but all stuff that was easy to fix once
I got my head around it.

Now, whilst I mostly understand the problem, I don't understand the
solution. :( I've upgraded the other clients so that they're all running
the same version, but the problem now persists as before with the same
accounts on the same machines. I've tried creating .DCOPserver* files
manually, but it doesn't work. GNOME and FVWM work fine, but I want my
KDE (well, more to the point my users want it back, I'm not bothered
which WM i use). Can anyone tell me how to get kde working on these
workstations again?

a thousand thanks; sol