[plug] RE: Alsa problems

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Tue Dec 7 22:15:09 WST 2004

Michael Collard wrote:
> I am almost certain that the OSS device (/dev/dsp etc) will only allow
> one application to use it at a time, regardless of ALSA. I got that from
> the docs somewhere. Still, could be wrong. Let us know what you find :)
Nope. It is dependent on the hardware and driver. Some cards support
hardware mixing of X channels and if the driver has support then
/dev/dsp can be opened multiple times. I'm not sure which sound cards
have this though (read it in a HOWTO IIRC)
Tim
--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net