[plug] nis success story

Sol sol at terminus.net.au
Wed Dec 8 18:19:45 WST 2004

> On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 21:10, Sol wrote
> >From what you describe you are running "fat" clients to the server.
> Yes?  Have you thought about running thin clients to reduce the admin
> overhead?  Also, if you go "thin" most/all their older hardware could be
> put back into service since even a PII 233 makes a good thin client -
> relying on the speed of your server to become ridiculously fast.  Since
> you like Debian you probably wouldn't have looked at K12LTSP because it
> is built on FC3.  However, K12LTSP gives (virtually) PnP setup.
> Continuing to assume Deb. is your choice, you might instead consider
> LTSP which builds on top of any distro.  But, then you'll know all about
> LTSP, and me being new here don't know you know, if you know what I mean
First of all, welcome to PLUG Gavin! :)

Yeah, we used to run thin clients on ridiculously pissweak hardware when
we started out. The situation was so dismal that some people took pity
on us and donated hardware. I'm not that familiar with LTSP (although
I've read a bit about it) but whilst it might make my job as admin
easier, I've found that user's like eye candy, ease of use and speed. So
what we've got is kinda responding to demand. I think. ;)

Thanks for posting.

/sol