[plug] Xorg and slow startup times...

Lyndon Maydwell maydwell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 02:42:46 WST 2004

X takes too long to start up, and does so in an odd manner.

The trouble started right after I upgraded my kernel to the new
2.6.9-gentoo-r9 kernel. So imediately I started fiddling options
in the kernel to fix it. However after giving up and going back
to my old kernel the same problem persisted...

X takes forever (about two minutes) to start, when previously
it took ~ 1 second. I fear though that this may be due to my
videocard dying, as initially I get a black screen with the plain
"X" Xorg cursor, then I go back to the terminal to check the
error messages while it does it's stuff, and when I return to X,
this time it has weird green and white stripes across the top
of the screen. and finally after checking for error messages
again, when I come back to X it has loaded fluxbox fine and is
running as per usual, although, maybe a little slower than
normal.

I think that the cause could also be a wrong refresh-rate setting
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. As I changed a few things around in there
after updating my kernel. But I have returned it to how it was
before to the best of my knowledge, and the problem remains,
even when I use the kernel I was running previously.

What should I be checking to find out what the true problem is?
Especially any test to see if the video-card is failing would be
extremely useful.

The card is a "Saphire Radeon 9200 SE"
The monitor is a Hyundai ImageQuest F770D

I've attached a copy of my xorg.conf for a little light reading.

Any help would be much appreciated.