[plug] Win modem

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Fri Dec 10 16:51:54 WST 2004

garry wrote:
> Kev wrote:
>
>> Yea!  Buy a modem.  They're cheap.

I wasn't meaning to be nasty.  It was just the first thing that entered
my head, given that nameless, internal modems can be got for around
$30.00 brand new now-a-days.

> If this were a family member Kev, I already would have.
>
> I am helping an acquaintance (never met him) get started in Linux. I do
> this sort of thing because I believe in Linux.

I appreciate that.  I'm also a paid up member of PLUG.  I figure that
it'd take effort to construe that I was being anything but flipant,
whilst giving what I still consider the very best advice for ALL
concerned.  Actually it would be my first advice for anyone in that
situation starting up in any OS.  Winmodems had more than their fair
share problems even in Windoze.  I wouldn't even consider trying to
support a brand newbie in Linux, setting up a winmodem on the other side
of the country.  The first thing I would say to him is, "Go and buy a
modem, and let me know when you're ready."

> I don't buy modems for all and sundry because Mr Lotto has not yet
> smiled on me.. [I will be digging up a no-longer-used serial modem and
> giving it to him though..]

I would have thought that the *best* advice for *him*, whoever he is, is
buy a modem - and that's exactly what I meant.  It would be best for you
too, given that you're supporting him from afar.