[plug] Yoper Linux

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 19:55:54 WST 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:40:28 +0800, Jeffrey Lim <jfs.world at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:58:09 +0800, Senectus . <senectus at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've tried it..
> > They basically use a lot of "shortcuts and cheats" to make it feel very slick..
> > Many of the "tricks" they use cause problems with gaming and
> > wine/cedega so it was no good for me.
>
> would u mind giving more details on this, Senectus? i'm interested to
> find out more - what sort of tricks or shortcuts do they use?

As I understand it, Prelinking in particular, Also There are scheduler
hacks, neither of which wine and cedega deal very well with.
Other things..
     0.) Performance patches from Con Kolivas, i686 2.6.7 kernel, reiserfs
    1.) All original sources, minimal patches.
    2.) Compiled with i686 against latest gcc
    3.) Stripping
    4.) Prelinking
    5.) Latest gcc and glibc and other sources
    6.) Keep everything only dependent to what it really needs not what
    the ./configure happens to find.
    7.) Hdparm on install

(that was from their own site)

Its nothing that Gentoo isn't.. except a damn site easier to install..

But thats not what put me off it the most.. it was their attitude..

--
Ubuntu Warty 4.10