[plug] Preferred or recommended graphics adapter

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Fri Dec 17 20:22:15 WST 2004

Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Jim Householder wrote:
>

>>I have just installed Mdk 10.1 Official, and have yet to get an nvidia
>>driver working.  It appears to build ok, but will not initialise when I try
>>to use it.  I'm tired of messing with nvidia.
<snip>
> If you're not fussed about getting a tweaky gamer card, cards in the
> Radeon 9200 series have excellent Linux support.  3D acceleration is
> supported by Free drivers included with the kernel and should be part
> of most recent distributions.  The cards are cheap ($50-$100) and
> passively cooled so no noisy fans to worry about.
<snip>

> Cameron

Thanks Cameron.  I got a Saphire Radeon 9200SE today and installed it.  I'm not sure how to configure it though.  It was detected in the boot process, and without consulting me, changed inittab to start runlevel 5 (was 3).  It also replaced my XF86Config without keeping a backup copy <grrr>.

Anyway, I'm stuck with 800x600.  The messages I see indicate libglx.a is missing, and seems to want Device sections for both BusID PCI:1:0:0 and PCI:1:0:1.  When I give it one it wants the other.  Are 2 Device lines in the Screen section allowed/required in this case?

TIA
Jim