[plug] USB Flash Drives - A word to the wise...

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Fri Dec 17 20:53:57 WST 2004

Jim Householder wrote:
> Hi
>
> A word of caution.  When removing a USBKey flash memory device, the
> proper removal process is *highly* recommended.  I assumed that the only
> purpose was to make sure buffers were flushed, and if I had made no
> changes just pulled it out.  (However after the odd problem with linux I
> decided it was best to explicitly umount it first.)
>
> My USBKey has failed after only 3 months and only 20 or so uses.
>
> It appears that another function of the removal process is to make it
> *electrically* safe to remove the device.  A $39 lesson...

Actually no. Electrically there is absolutely no difference you can make by
mounting/unmounting/removing usb-storage or doing anything short of unloading the usb host drivers.

You got a dud I'm afraid. I have several USB-keys here that have survived hundreds of plug-unplug
cycles under the most adverse conditions with no damage. Nothing more than ensuring the drives have
been synced before removing them. One has been used so much I have almost worn out the connector.

--
Brad
                    /"\