[plug] Mail help

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Dec 19 22:24:37 WST 2004

 > Joong Cho wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> Whenever I said a mail to webmaster at startreklibrary.com, I get the
>> following error message:
>>
>> <webmaster at startreklibrary.com>: Host or domain name not found. Name
>> service error for name=joongcho.com type=A: Host found but no data
>> record of requested type
>>
>> How do I prevent this type of message from occuring or what do I need
>> to do in order to prevent this message?

Oddly enough, it does seem to be - one MX, pointed at joongcho.com . The
issue is that he has failed to configure an A record on joongcho.com.

Joong, as I told you several months ago www.<domainname>.com and
<domainname.com> are not the same domain - the 'www' is a host on, or
subdomain of, domainname.com . Both must be configured for some things
to work. You must either add an A record to joongcho.com, or make your
MX record point to www.joongcho.com, because they are NOT the same
thing. Please refer to our earlier discussions on this matter.

>> Also, whenever I send mail to info at joongcho.com or
>> info at startreklibrary.com, I get the following postfix message.
>>
>> < info at joongcho.com > : unknown user: "info"
>>
>> How do I add user's in postfix?

$ adduser info

Unless configured otherwise, a mail user is a system user. Each system
user is assumed to have an email address (among possibly others) of the
form ${USER}@`hostname -a` . If you want a user info at joongcho.com, add a
user 'info' on the joongcho.com server. If you want more control than
that, you're getting into virtual user maps, etc etc - and I doubt you
want to try that quite yet.

If you actually want to make an alias for that name that delvers to a
different real name, see "man aliases" and don't forget to run
newaliases after you edit /etc/aliases .

--
Craig Ringer