[plug] view statement in Bind9

bob bob at fots.org.au
Fri Dec 24 17:05:08 WST 2004

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 04:05 pm, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <200412241558.33696.bob at fots.org.au>
>
> on Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 03:58:33PM +0800, bob wrote:
> > I'm looking for some docs that expand on %subject%. The ARM docs are a
> > bit pithy for my poor brain at the moment so something along the lines
> > of an idiots guide to would be good... or a working example well
> > commented :).
>
> The ARM is accurate in what it says (see "Split DNS" and "view Statement
> Definition and Usage"). You basically put stuff into blocks like this:
>
> acl internals {
>     ...;
>     ...;
>     ...;
> };
>
> view "one" {
>     match-clients { internals; };
>     zone "..." {
>     };
> }
>
> view "zero" {
>     match-clients { any; };
>     zone "..." {
>     };
> }

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, so lets see if I get this right. I can do:-

view "internal" {
     match-clients { 192.168.0.0/24; };
zone "FQDN" {
        type master;
        file "/path/to/host.dfn";

view "external" {
     match-clients { any; };
zone "FQDN" {
        type master;
        file "/path/to/other_host.dfn";

where FQDN is the same for both and for any 192.168... host that queries it
recieves the internal IP# of the server while any other query gets the
external IP# ? (assuming the host dfns are so :).

If so, thanks... much easier than I was thinking :).

If not... doh!

--
There is an innocence in admiration; it is found in those to whom it
has not yet occurred that they, too, might be admired some day.