[plug] Machine Check Exception

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Dec 26 00:11:04 WST 2004

On Sat, Dec 25, 2004 at 10:44:50PM +0800, bob wrote:
> Got a panic this evening and I was hoping someone coud have a look at the
> following syslog dump and perhaps tell me what happened. Is this RAM
> failing? (once again google has failed to provide an anwer by flooding the
> response with blog entries - none of which are worth anything :()

Looks like bad RAM or a cosmic ray to me. It'd probably be worth
running memtest over it. If you do find you have bad RAM and you're
too environmentally-conscious to just replace it, you could try the
badram patch which tells the kernel to avoid certain bits of memory.

> Dec 25 21:40:03 fluff kernel: CPU 0: Machine Check Exception:
> 0000000000000004
> Dec 25 21:40:03 fluff kernel: Bank 2: b600000000140000 at 003446ff003446ff

Problem #1

> Dec 25 21:40:03 fluff kernel: Kernel panic: CPU context corrupt

This and the rest would follow from problem #1. (Well rather, the
rest is probably indeed a kernel bug, but in an odd failure case
like this, it's not too surprising it hasn't been caught yet).

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>