[plug] Machine Check Exception

bob bob at fots.org.au
Sun Dec 26 12:09:26 WST 2004

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:40 am, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 12:26:57AM +0800, bob wrote:
> > > Looks like bad RAM or a cosmic ray to me.
> >
> > Yes, though that might be the case. Oh well another reboot to run
> > memtest and see how that goes... otherwise, cosmics as you say.
>
> Or perhaps you were being hacked along the lines of
> http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~sudhakar/papers/memerr.pdf ;)

Oh thank you so much for the paranoia :-p

Well if the black hat was wanting to DoS me then they got their wish...
other than that I'll reasonably happy the box is secure. The pdf linked to,
while no doubt of interest to those interested in security, is not a
practical explot for your average level of threat (script kiddie) so unless
I notice ASIO has strapped a 50W light to the side of my server I don't
think I should lose too much sleep over this one

> > To tell the truth the box in question is probably just sulking. I'm in
> > the midst of configing up a replacement and it may have decided to go
> > on strike. :)
>
> Christmas Day and your only present for it is the threat of being
> demoted?  No wonder! :P

Memtest shows nothing... cosmics or heat (as WK suggests). In either case it
has not made too much difference to plans to replace it.

Thanks for your feedback

--
"Plastic gun.  Ingenious.  More coffee, please."
-- The Phantom comics