[plug] installation problem

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Dec 27 20:04:17 WST 2004

On Sunday 26 December 2004 21:40, Jon L. Miller wrote:
> make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

> Can someone explain why this happens and how to fix it.

Either the person who wrote the makefile didn't write an installer part
(e.g. because they expected it to be packed into an RPM) or you need to
run the make in a subdirectory (likely src/).

> The program I'm trying to install is xine on SuSE Pro v9.2.

Consider one of the following options:

 * search for an appropriate SuSE RPM;

 * pull a source RPM from another distro, install and rebuild it;

 * pull an older source RPM from SuSE and bolt the newer xine
   archive into it (done by putting the archive in SOURCES/ and
   tweaking the xine.spec file in SPECS/ to match).

Cheers; Leon