[plug] [revisited] mp3 downsizing

Gavin Chester gavinchester1 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 30 22:45:46 WST 2004

on Thu Dec 23 14:12:48 WST 2004 Gavin Chester gavinchester1 at hotmail.com
previously posted:

> I was wanting to know from mp3 gurus if there is a way to preserve the
> id3 tag info on existing mp3s when downsizing/downsampling with LAME (or
> suggest another encoder)?
-snip-
> The scenario is that I have several thousand tracks burnt to a hard disk
> at very high quality 256kbs.  I did it this way to then be flexible
> about what I did with them next.  One of the things I now want to do is
> to downsample those tracks to something more like 112kbs to suit burning
> onto disk for a mp3-compatible car CD player.
-snip-

While no one here seemed to have any suggestions, I thought the group
might like to know that I got a response on this from
one of the LAME developers on the mp3-encoder list.  His response was:

(/quote)
LAME4 experimentaly supports the "preserve TAGS when transcoding/encoding"
but it is experimental feature.

I don't know this feature will be imported to LAME3.x. IMHO, it will reduce
the stability of LAME and is not good to do so.
--
Takehiro TOMINAGA // may the source be with you!
(end quote/)

So there you have it.  I guess it's back to having to re-rip dozens
of CDs to have smaller files with ID3 tags.  Downsampling doesn't work.
Groan.

Regards, Gavin.