[plug] Debugging apache-ssl virtualhost certificates

bob bob at fots.org.au
Fri Dec 31 19:48:08 WST 2004

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 07:28 pm, James Devenish wrote:
> > I will look into these TLS upgrades.
>
> What I was thinking is that most modern clients can use TLS instead of
> SSL (TLS is an RFC-based protocol that 'supersedes' SSL and has done so
> for a number of years). I thought there might be a way with TLS to start
> out with an HTTP connection and then upgrade it to HTTPS with the host
> name specified. But, "I haven't thought this one through..."

Runs into the same problem eh :). Thanks for the thought anyway...

> By the way, Bob, maybe there's a workaround for you (even if it is
> unsightly): can you use different port numbers for each HTTPS virtual
> host? E.g. site2 might be on port 444 instead of 443 (443 being the
> default for HTTPS). Obviously all URLs for the site on port 444 would
> need to be of the form https://hostname:444/welcome instead of
> https://hostname/welcome

That could well be the way to go. I'm wanting to do ssl to secure a webmail
session - given that the start of the process is a redirect from
http://hostname/webmail to https://hostname/webmail adding a port should be
a user friendly enough way of doing things. (almost invisible to the
average user:)

Thanks. I'll give it a whirl and hopefully that will be that.

Ok, time to get ready. See ya' next year ! :)

--
When it is not necessary to make a decision, it is necessary not to
make a decision.