[plug] Re: [OT] Pratchett and BCBs (was: TV)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Feb 2 23:14:37 WST 2004

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:39, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Near enough... but... Sybil?  I vaguely recall it coming up as Sam
> Vimes's description of food from some random shopkeeper (whose name
> escapes me).  However, despite having a shelf full of Pratchett next
> to me I can't check because I can't even remember which book it was
> in.

The one where he was sent to the Dwarf Kingdom, with the Scone of Stone,
and Sybil was pregnant and spent half the book<1> trying to tell Sam,
and their child was eventually delivered by Mrs Palm's doctor. That
would make it... The Fifth Elephant. Sneaks into daughter's room,
apprehends hardcover, quickly finds page 281... Sybil speaking to the
Dwarf King...

    'Six, I'm afraid. You haven't plumbed the full extent of those
    deposits [the pale suets from the fat mines of Schmalzburg], and
    I think it may be reasonable to expect high levels of scrattle<2>
    and BCBs in the lower layers. [...]'

    'Wha' BCBs?' murmered Vimes.

    'Burnt Crunchy Bits,' said Sybil. 'Mostly unbelievably huge and
    ancient animals, deep fried.'

Cheers; Leon

<1> Wrong. Practically all of it up to page 288 out of 317.

<2> Apparently loose included gravel.