[plug] some adsl, misc questions...

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Feb 3 20:59:40 WST 2004

Pabs wrote:

| & now some ways for me to reduce my bandwith usage:
|
| closest/fastest debian mirror to westnet?

ftp.it.net.au (aka ftp.wa.au.debian.org) is what I use; it's on WAIX and
is an official mirror.  3fl.net are closer to Westnet but I'm not sure
how regularly their debian mirror is updated.

Look at waix.bur.st for that kind of thing.

| Domains to forward to 127.0.0.1? ads.osdn.com comes to mind.

I use jesred and squid to filter out URLs based on regexes.  The
`generic' ones that kill most ads are:

regexi ^http://(.*\.)?(ad|ads|adsadc|adbot|admedia|adserver|adcontent|adcontroller|newads|mjxads|img-iad|bsads|remotead|banner|b
annertype|banners|bannerfarm)\..*/.* http://localhost/redir/dot.gif

regexi ^http://.*/(.*/)?(usads|ad|ads|avenuea|banner|banners|bannerads|adbanner|adserver|adserve|centralad|(.*_ads))/.* http://localhost/redir/dot.gif

After that I have about a dozen domains that don't get caught by the
above.

| Any peak/off peak experiences. ie does it help to do yr downloading
| after midnight?

I don't normally bother.  I'm on Iinet DSL and have an 8G on/8G off
quota; so far we seem to use only 1--2G per month.  There seems to be
little difference in download speed between on and off peak.

| Anone have any opinions on the shaped/$10 per 1000 MiB choice?

I'd go for shaped to avoid nasty surprises, though again I've never been
anywhere near reaching the limit.

Cameron.