[plug] TPG notebook

Mike Holland myk at westnet.com.au
Thu Feb 5 12:39:38 WST 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Ben Jensz wrote:

> If you want a laptop for use away from a power point, I doubt that one
> would last very long on battery.  See if you can find out more details

Probably more than long enough for one DVD :-)
It has a good battery, 320WHr, but your lap might get hot.
Its under 3kg too, which is great for the price and specs.

> about the LAN/modem, because those are the things that may not work

Could be a problem, as it has no rs-232 port. A pc-card modem would do.

> properly under Linux or may be a bit of a PITA to get working.

I'd be more worried about the ACPI with Linux.

> Personally I'm looking at buying an IBM Thinkpad R50 sometime soon if
> work approves it, but thats more than double that one in price..

Is IBM really any better? It might come from the same Chinese factory.
And while IBM are good with Linux support in general, that doesnt apply to
laptops.

> > TPG internet are selling a very cheap laptop online at
> > http://www.tpg.com.au/online/
> >
> > 15.4" Widescreen TFT, Mobile Athlon XP-M 2000, 256DDR, 30GB, DVD/CDRW,
> > Radeon video card, lan/modem for about $1450..

Looks like a bargain to me. Almost as cheap as buying in the USA.
Widescreen, firewire, video-out, antenna built in, ...
Do they offer an extended warranty?