[plug] sorta [OT] Net abuse.. who to call?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Feb 5 13:47:56 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 13:21, senectus wrote:
> Surely there is an Australian police dept that deals with Public slander
> cases?
> Regardless of if its on the net or not...
>
> Lets presume that we have definitive proof of who is saying it, and what
> they have said??

On the Internet? Proof? How?

Even an email S-MIME signed by an employer / registrar issued key isn't
total proof - "someone broke into my computer and sent it - it wasn't
me!"

OTOH, the courts seem depressingly willing to accept the From: header as
proof of sender identity :-( despite the patent idiocy of such. I
wouldn't be surprised if making a new PGP key claiming to be "Senectus"
and signing a message with it would be considered definitive proof.

Just look at the recent spate of successful "it was a virus" defenses.
Suuuure... a virus altered your books. Right. The jury believed it
though :-(

Craig Ringer