[plug] Net Send to Windows 98 Machines

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Fri Feb 6 10:09:53 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 09:57, Nima Talebi wrote:
> Hello
>
> Anyone know a free commandline executable that can message Windows 9x
> machines, like 'net send', with the additional feature that it actually
> works?
>
> Just to clear it up for anyonw who hasn't tried, net send to Win9x
> machines - the command runs successfully:
>
> C:\>net send 10.2.24.84 Good Morning.
> The message was successfully sent to 10.2.24.84.
>
> ...however it never actually makes it there.

smbclient -U {source_host_display_name} -M {destination_hostname}

ryan at vaio:~$ smbclient -U "Debian Laptop" -M IT-DESK-98
Connected. Type your message, ending it with a Control-D
Testing blah blah
sent 19 bytes

You can add the -I IP address option to help it if you have a dodgy name
resolution setup on your network.

Ryan