[plug] [OT] web error

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Feb 6 17:18:10 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

| Well, anyway, if the "log file" is full and logging is mandatory, then
| it sounds reasonable to fail. I'm not sure that you can really say
| that a web site should not fail in this way when it reaches its
| resource limit (better safe than sorry!). Whether you need a complete
| audit trail of your website is an administrative choice.

However, I'd guess from the nature of Windows sysadmins that whatever
setting it is that makes a full log file a fatal error is probably at
its default setting; I doubt that this makes sense as a /default/
setting for most web sites.

Also, surely if logging everything is required it should be logging
these "failure to write to log" events too?  :-)

Finally, one would hope that some kind of log rotation and compression
would be in place so that the log files /don't/ get full very easily.

Cameron.