[plug] Cyberknights vs SCO

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Sat Feb 7 21:22:01 WST 2004

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 20:28, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> As I understand it, anything with such a licence wouldn't be free
> software (at least by Debian's standards - see DFSG#5 "No Discrimination
> Against Persons or Groups"), wouldn't be GPL-compatible (Leon's licence
> places further restrictions on redistribution which the GPL forbids) and
> would generally work /against/ the openness and code-sharing that is
> characteristic of free software.  That strikes me as a pretty poor trade
> for some uncertain degree of protection against a short-term threat from
> SCO.

Agreed. I think Leon had a brain-fart with that one.

If SCO associates are willing to accept the GPL in good faith, why
specifically exclude them? If they are not willing to accept the GPL in good
faith, then such an exclusion is pointless anyway.

So much time and energy is spent on SCO related matters. Lets just concentrate
on what we do best, which is designing, coding, and implementing to the
benefit of people, open and free programs and other technology. SCO will one
day be no more than a history lesson on corporate suicide. Don't give them
more attention than they deserve, which is little to none.

My 2c... no offence to Leon.