[plug] [OT] Australia To Adopt U.S.-Style Copyright Laws

Sham Chukoury chukoury at arach.net.au
Mon Feb 9 20:24:30 WST 2004

Anyone seen this on slashdot yet?

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/02/09/0211225.shtml?tid=99

<quote from="slashdot post">
An anonymous reader submits "Australia has just announced that it has
finalized a Free Trade Agreement with the United States. Included in the
treaty is an agreement for Australia to implement American-style DMCA
copyright laws, extensions to the term of copyright, and an agreement to
move towards American-style patent and trademark laws (and we all know
how well those work, don't we.) I suppose this is the
misery-loves-company school of treaty negotiation."
</quote>

related links:
http://www.ferret.com.au/articles/11/0c01d811.asp
http://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/negotiations/us_fta/outcomes/08_intellectual_property.html