[plug] [OT] Australia To Adopt U.S.-Style Copyright Laws

Scott Middleton scott at linuxit.com.au
Tue Feb 10 10:06:10 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 20:24, Sham Chukoury wrote:
<snip>

> :( @ DMCA
> :( @ copyright extensions
> :( @ crappy american patent system
>
> §:|

I saw this on the news some months ago when they were discussing IP. I
understand copying America in a lot of ways really sucks but no one has
mentioned what we are getting in return. Does any one know?

BTW some weeks ago I was watching a lively discussion on ethanol in
petrol. The person for ethanol was saying that some stupid(?) percentage
of petrol stations in America do it so therefore it can't be that bad.

I was sitting there going crazy the journalist didn't pick up on that
big nugget. Since when has it become right, just because "Americans do
it"? We live in a culture of American TV, Music, Regional settings etc
that people don't argue the validity of American thought. Damn Oprah :)

Disclaimer: My Mother is American as is my Grandfather and most of my
maternal relatives. I'm still not a big fan of America nor Americans. I
imagine i feel the same as did just about everybody during Romes (except
Romans) heyday.

Regards

--
Scott Middleton <scott at linuxit.com.au>