[plug] Hard disk Testing

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Tue Feb 10 23:13:00 WST 2004

At 11:28 AM 10-02-2004 +0800, Jay wrote:

>Just wondering if anyone knows of a hard disk testing program similar to
>Memtest x86 for memory?
>
>I believe I have a disk that maybe on the way out and would like to run some
>conclusive tests on it to prove this.

Try a utility called "Tuff Test" there is a free 'lite' version available
for download, IIRC you download a disk image and write it to a boot floppy,
then use the floppy to reboot the the PC - the utility will do its thing and
then give you a report before you reboot the PC again -

For general info on commercial version goto :

http://www.softwareboy.com/100692.htm

To download 'lite' version goto/try :

http://www.tufftest.com/tt01-lite-dwnld.htm

The download file is a .zip file - you will need access to a Windows box to
write the floppy (see below)

Extracted from INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS :

Please carefully review the following instructions on how to
successfully create a #1-TuffTEST-Lite Program Diskette.

1) If for any reason you need to download the #1-TuffTEST-
   Lite Installation Wizard, ttlsetup.exe, again, you can
   download it (onto your hard drive or floppy disk) from:

     http://www.tufftest.com/tt01-lite-dwnld.htm

2) The #1-TuffTEST-Lite Installation Wizard, ttlsetup.exe,
   is a self-extracting Windows program that you "run" under
   Windows 3.1x, Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows NT.

3) The Installation Wizard creates a Program Group with 2
   icons. One icon is for making a self-booting #1-TuffTEST-
   Lite Program Diskette whenever needed, and the other icon
   is for viewing and/or printing the #1-TuffTEST-Lite Use
   Instructions file.

4) VERY IMPORTANT! During installation the Make A Diskette
   Wizard shells to DOS to make a #1-TuffTEST-Lite Program
   Diskette. Therefore, it is very important that your
   operating system is configured to allow running a DOS
   program and writing to a diskette.

   This is the default Windows setup, however, some Windows
   NT "workstation" setups and some optimized Windows For
   Workgroup (WFWG) 3.1x setups do not allow writing to a
   diskette and/or shelling to DOS. If this is the case with
   your operating system, simply reconfigure it prior to
   running the #1-TuffTEST-Lite Installation Wizard.  If
   this is not possible, you can put the #1-TuffTEST-Lite
   Installation Wizard, ttlsetup.exe, on a floppy diskette
   and make your #1-TuffTEST-Lite Program Diskette on another
   PC running Windows.

5) Click on the "Make a Diskette" Icon to make a #1-TuffTEST-
   Lite Program Diskette whenever needed.

6) VERY IMPORTANT! The #1-TuffTEST-Lite format and file
   structure is not compatible with any operating system (DOS,
   Windows, Unix, etc.), so do not attempt to do native
   operating system commands such as "DIR" on them as you MAY
   DAMAGE the newly created #1-TuffTEST-Lite Program Diskette.

7) more details included in the downloaded .zip file

HTH

Regards Arie