[plug] Samba 3.0 and unix password sync

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Thu Feb 12 10:38:05 WST 2004

Hi all,

I've setup Samba 3 in a test environment and its pretty much fully
working, apart from unix password sync.  If I turn off "unix password
sync" and "pam password change", users can change their own users
passwords from Windows quite happily, but if I enable either of the
above two options to sync their SMB passwords with their Unix system
passwords, password changing fails with a really descriptive Windows
error along the lines of "Access denied".  The Samba logs say pretty
much the same thing as well, so that doesn't help the matter either.

I'm using the tdbsam backend and I've gone Googling and read and re-read
relevant sections of the Samba 3.0 official book (bought it when I was
in Adelaide from Dymocks at LCA) and I can't seem to figure out what I'm
missing...

It worked fine under Samba 2.2.x.... but doesn't seem to in Samba 3.

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

/ Ben