[plug] handling failed non-redundant storage in a server

Sham Chukoury chukoury at arach.net.au
Thu Feb 12 11:43:05 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 11:09, Craig Ringer wrote:

<snip>

> I was wondering if there's any way to deal with this - to remove the
> processes I know will never recover, unmount the dead volume without
> causing any harm to other parts of the system, etc. While I'll be able
> to reboot this evening, surely there's a way of dealing with this sort
> of thing without a reboot?

Hmmm... Cycling init levels? :)

init 1
<Ctrl-D> for normal startup

Or... have you tried killing the unrecoverable processes?
kill[all] (-9) (pid|name)

As to unmounting the dead volume.. find out which processes think
they've got open files on it, using lsof, and kill those processes, then
try unmounting.

> Oh yeah - MAKE SURE YOUR DISKS ARE WELL COOLED. I thought this one was
> fine, but the continuous high load on a fast 3 platter disk was
> apparently too much for it. I think our snapshot target disks will have
> to live in drive cages for extra cooling, as the current airflow is
> clearly just not good enough. *sigh* - it's loud enough already.

Well cooled? Hmm..

You mean something like this?
http://www.digital-explosion.co.uk/index.php?articleID=31

Or even.. how bout a sandwich... http://www.overclockers.com/tips454/