[plug] PCI VGA cards

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Feb 13 17:43:49 WST 2004

Scott Middleton wrote:

| I bought a NVidia GeForce4 MX PCI a few weeks ago and they are no longer
| cheap.

I don't believe they were ever cheap.  The AGP ones are amazingly cheap,
but because the PCI cards are less common, you'll have to pay a premium
for them.

The Geforce cardss have the advantage of being RENDER-accelerated if you
use Nvidia's proprietary drivers[1].  If you don't care about that, you
could also consider a TNT2 or low-end Radeon.  My experience is that
TNT2's really slow down at high resolution (>1280x1024) and don't have
the visual quality of Radeons or newer Geforce cards.  If you're using
cruddy monitors and/or low resolution you might not notice it though :-)

Cameron.

[1] Last time I tried enabling RENDER acceleration on Nvidia drivers
they hung the machine when KDE started.  That was quite a while ago,
though, and Nvidia's drivers were pretty unstable in general at that
point.  Craig's posts seem to indicate that they've improved since then.