[plug] ABC 7:30 Report - comments anyone?

senectus senectuskal at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 16 09:45:47 WST 2004

I heard a story on tripleJ about how a guy that was researching this and
said that he found that yes the recording industry is right in saying that
their sales dropped a huge amount just recently.. but they only dropped back
from an unprecedented high that peaked their industry the year before..
in reality their sales are still ahead of what would be considered "normal"
if you viewed the whole picture.

I wonder who "the industry" is? If you look at "six months ending 30
June 2003" as reported by ARIA:
<http://www.aria.com.au/news/stats2000.htm>

CDs (singles plus albums) Jan-Jun 2002: 24.14 million units,
dollar value 232 million units (dollars?).
CDs (singles plus albums) Jan-Jun 2003: 24.07 million units,
dollar value 233 million units (dollars?).

So, comparing the start of 2003 to the start of 2002, CD sales fell by
0.3%, and the dollar value increased by 0.6%. So, a flat market? Hardly
"CD music sales have fallen by more than 17 per cent while". Not sure
how to measure "losing $200 million a month in royalties". Note also
that the 'Percentage Change' columns indicate 2.56% overall increase in
units and 5.28% overall increase in dollar value. Also:

CD singles units dropped by 17.36%
Cassette units dropped by 51.3%
'Other' dropped by 81.84%

Wow...until you realise that figures like "81%" are from a total of 716
units, only accounting for three thousands of one per cent of total
units in the first place.

See also <http://www.aria.com.au/news.htm>.