[plug] Problem with gateway

anthonyw at webace.com.au anthonyw at webace.com.au
Mon Feb 16 17:53:31 WST 2004

i have an old pc set up as a gateway for my home. it is curently running
redhat 9 using iptables to do masquerading. it has been working fine and i
have not had any problems over the years but for some reason it has
stopped forwarding traffic from the local network to the internet.
I still have access to the the web via the proxy installed on the gateway
but i cannot access any mail servers, i cant even ping any site on the
internet.

i modified iptables to log all packets from the local network to try and
determine what was happening
root]#iptables -I INPUT -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j LOG --log-prefix "LOCAL
TRAFFIC:"
But the only traffic logged is that destined for 192.168.0.1 (the gateway).
Does this mean that the gateway is not recieving the packets destined for
the internet?

i have not made any modifications to any configurations recently and i am
at a loss as to why it has stopped working. Any help would be appreciated.

Anthony