copy protected cds, was:RE: [plug] ABC 7:30 Report - comments anyone?

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 17 15:56:57 WST 2004

I don't have anything particularly new to add to this, although I certainly
agree it's a biased report. An issue I'd like to raise with the recording
industry is copy protected CDs, I have problems with buying an inferior
product, and for anyone who's unfamiliar with copy protected CDs (very
fortunate ppl I should think), they have inbuilt flaws built into them so
that PC CD-ROM drives have problems reading them (yo ucan generally get away
with it at 1x speed, but that's another issue).

These copy protected CDs can be played on Windows, and now nerwer ones can
be played on Macs, by some kind of circumvention programme I assume. Yet I
can't do the same thing under Linux, could we scram monopoly here? Obviously
they're trying to cater for more than jsut Windows users as Macs are now
supported, but what about any 'alternative' OSes? Are there any major
articles covering this at the moment?

Cheers!
John

"...it was brilliant, there was three up against a thousand, and boy, did we
give those three heaps!"