[plug] mplayer

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed Feb 18 14:21:26 WST 2004

John Knight wrote:
>> Yes, the documentation is lacking. Easiest way is "urpmi mplayer", or
>> debian eqiv.  So whats your distro?
>

> Or you could compile it from source..... :p Grab the libdvdcss source
> and the mplayer source and compile away. If you want a DVD and audio CD
> player, xine is now the leader of the pack, it's a bit like using
> something like powerdvd these days, and is nothing like the hideous
> releases on many distros.

Xine is nice, but I am having a pig of a time getting it do display movies correctly on my
projector. I have managed a 50hz X modeline, I can enable deinterlacing but it simply makes the
picture fuzzy, I still get tearing when it's not syncing on vertical retrace.

I have a Matrox G450 dual head card. With Mplayer I can use the mga_vid module and display perfectly
from the framebuffer. My projector is native 1024x768 and mplayer uses the hardware scaler on the
card to provide a really nice full screen image. Smooth and well synced. The de-interlacing is still
not perfect but is far better than xines.

The only reason I'm trying to use xine is I have 160 DVD images on the hard disk and I want full
navigation support, but I'm buggered if I can get a decent synced image out of xine.

Has anyone actually used xine on anything other than a monitor and got a really good picture?
1024x768 on an 8 Foot diagonal screen really shows up any flaws in the scaling/de-interlacing and sync.

If mplayer could navigate a dvd it would the *the* perfect player.. <sigh>

Brad