[plug] [mary at slug.org.au: [lug] Press request: Legitimate uses of P2P]

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Feb 18 15:59:05 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 15:40, Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> bit torrent.
>
> almost always used for legal distribution of stuff. (ie mandrake cd's etc)

Umm... alas, not entirely so. I've heard bittorrent is popular for
distributing fan-subs of foreign language films, scanned comic
compilations, etc. Not exactly legal :-(

I'll be _really_ pissed off if ISPs start rate-limiting BitTorrent into
the same class as "all that nasty P2P stuff," as occasionally I do have
a need for it. Mostly I can get what I need from 3fl.net (thanks, Ben!)
via 150KB/s FTP :-)

Craig Ringer