[plug] 2.4.24 mremap root exploit

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Feb 18 22:12:09 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 21:49, Trent Lloyd wrote:
> *sigh* yet another mremap local root exploit! doh!
>
> Churning out kernels in this heat! noooo!

All that extra disk and CPU activity makes for even hotter PCs - yay!

> Bernard apears to have churned out a patch, despite the heat,
> http://dagobah.ucc.asn.au/mremap-2.4.24-fix.patch

*lol*

Just bought our core server up to 2.6 tonight :-)

I have full system snapshots, confirmed to be bootable and complete, so
even if something went horribly wrong I can fix it quickly. We were
having serious issues with read latencies during heavy writes under 2.4,
and also wanted the HT improvements etc. LVM2 doesn't hurt.

Now ... testing, testing, testing...

Craig Ringer