[plug] Hdd probs - IBM deskstar experiences?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Feb 20 15:16:39 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 07:02, Craig Foster wrote:
> IBM DTLA-xxxx and 75GXP series were dodgey (I have 2/3 that work at the
> moment)

I had two; both died within six months. Amazingly, I was successful in
having them replaced under warranty (and Austin gave me credit on the
returns toward buying other disks).

> WD xxxxJB's have had some bad sector batches (and are "de-optimised" for
> RAID)

Bad sectors: Don't I know it, I had 5 of that batch.
RAID issues: There's a firmware fix for this, at least for the 120GB
model.

> There's only so many failures at 18mths (ie just after the warranty runns
> out) a customer can take before they start asking questions about their
> purchasing choices.

Yeah... like not paying $20 extra for a 3 year warranty.

Craig Ringer