[plug] JD stresses at OOo

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Feb 24 08:26:24 WST 2004

In message <200402240729.41449.leon at brooks.fdns.net>
on Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 07:29:41AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> It takes me to the directory I last edited in, which is useful.

Other apps do this to, but my point is that they don't do it at
inappropriate times like OOo. A small point, but it certainly
affected usability for me.

> Click once on the little icon full of tools (predominantly a hammer)

Hammer, eh? How apt :-P
PS. Hammer?

> > Also, it doesn't let me navigate to directories via text entry.
>
> IW4M, see http://cyberknights.com.au/jd/oo-open-before.png and
> oo-open-after.png after I type /tmp - not only that, it autocompletes
> based on what is there.

Yes, I discovered this and mentioned it in a followup. On the downside,
I can't use globbing or tab completion, and the autocompletion requires
that I type a sufficient number of unique characters for it to predict
correctly.

> >  - To 'import' or 'place' data into a spreadsheet, the thing that
> > stood out in the menus was an 'External Data...'...However, after
> > getting all the delimiters set up and what not, the 'OK' button is
> > dimmed.
> IW4M - oo-open-csv.png - maybe you're using an inferior distro which
> doesn't configure and patch things so well? (-:

1/ Yes, from what Cameron suggested, I appear to have used an inferior
copy: I used openoffice.org's distribution.

2/ Once you click 'OK' in that dialogue, where do you get? I get to a
dialogue that does not accept 'OK' as a choice.

> True, but it does display thos six fonts nicely and in order, which
> makes selecting amongst them (even amongst hundreds of them) not too
> much of a chore.

??????? I most definitely have to disagree there.

> >  - I'm using v1.1.0 and it tends to crash on pre-existing documents
> > that I open.
>
> I've not had it crash for any reason for months. I use it to recover
> other people's broken documents by the simple process of Open...SaveAs.
> Another IW4M, I guess.

I have heard other experiences similar to yours.

When I was experiencing crashes, I had been using 1.1.0 (which was the
most recent at the time).

> Eh? You're not going to complain that page formatting is grouped under
> "Format" along with paragraph and character and so on instead of under
> "File" with the printer stuff? (-:

See other post.

> > Could probably find info in the help, but there was no help button
> > immediately available.
>
> F1 is your friend.

I think there was specifically no help for that area of OOo. I just
tried it...and the Help viewer hangs when trying to display help for
Print Options.